Sunday, January 4, 2009

Wild boar sandwiches

I recently managed to get my hands on some wild boar tenderloin. I looked around online and through my cookbook collection, trying to find a suitable recipe. I wanted something simple, something that'd let me enjoy the meat for what it was. I didn't want to overwhelm it with a strong-flavoured sauce. It wasn't long before I got tired of looking through curry and casserole recipes and settled on making a simple sandwich.

My wild boar came in strips of the perfect size for sandwiches. If yours doesn't, you're going to have to cut it. Place one wild boar strip for each diner into a bowl along with two or three cloves of garlic, season with black pepper, cover with olive oil, seal in cling film and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator a hour before cooking. Pre-heat broiler to medium-high.

Take a tomato, slice it and season it with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Broil for 5-7 minutes a side. While I'm normally against cooking anything well-done, you want to make sure your boar is properly cooked as it's wild-shot. Season the tenderloins with salt and pepper when you turn them. Season them again when you remove them. If you feel like having bacon in your sandwich, broil it now.

Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the sandwich. Open the rolls--I hope you bought nice ones. Add some rocket leaves, finely sliced red onion, the bacon (if using) and the wild boar tenderloin. Top a slice or two of tomato.

Really, that's all I did. And I was very happy with it. I intend, next time, to maybe cook some kebabs over a coal fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment