Saturday, January 10, 2009

Crispy Cajun wings

I love chicken wings. A lot of flavour in them, with all that bone. They're fun to eat. And, yeah, they're cheap. A major selling point for a student. With all of the marinades I use, the wings themselves are prepared in exactly the same way. I use my chef's knife to lop off the wing tips, then I cut the wings in half at the joint. You can, of course, buy wingettes--wings that have already been portioned like that--but they're more expensive. The wings are cooked on the middle rack of the broiler for ten minutes aside on a medium-high heat. Ensure the bars of the grill are clean, to prevent sticking. You can also barbecue the wings.

This isn't a liquid marinade, obviously. Rather, it's a dry rub that comes out all crunchy. I only made this recently and, at present, I'm not 100% happy with it. I reckon turning the mix into a paste with rum or even halving the amount of mix and combining it with flour or quality bread crumbs would improve things greatly.

Take 2 tbs smoked paprika, 2 tbs sweet paprika, 3 tbs dried basil flakes, 2 tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs onion flakes, 2 tbs salt, 2 tbs freshly ground black pepper, 2 tbs ground fennel seeds, 3 tsp dried parsley, 3 tsp ground cinnamon, 3 tsp dried thyme, 2 tsp ground white pepper and 1 tsp chilli powder and combine. Rub into the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment