Sunday, January 4, 2009

Buffalo meatballs with a spicy coating

This is a simple recipe I came up with when introducing both my students and myself to buffalo. I wanted something simple, something the kids and I could knock together in the space of a few minutes. I ended up settling on a spice rub. You can use this spice rub on buffalo steaks, but we used it on meatballs made from buffalo sausages. The sausages can be ordered at any good butcher or poultry store, although you'll find some places might have them kicking around the freezer already. The sausages, at least at the places I go, come frozen in a one kilogram pack.

1 kilogram pack buffalo sausages, thawed
1/4 cup plain flour
1 tbs sweet paprika
1 tbs allspice
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs sea salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp chilli powder

Use a paring knife to slit the sausages open. Peel the skin away from the meat. Take a pinch of meat and roll it into a meatball with your hands. Repeat until all of the sausages are gone.

In a cup or other small vessel, combine the flour and spices. Dip the meatballs into the seasoned flour one by one, rolling them around to ensure they get an even coating.

Heat some oil in a fry pan. Cook the meatballs over a medium flame for 5-8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment